Sunday, March 10, 2013

Digital (Reading) Planning

I didn't think I would, but I've gotten a lot of use out of my iPad: word-processing, gaming, emailing, checking maps, etc. I've also gotten a lot of use out of my iPad as an e-reader that is free from any specific store. That is, I have a Kindle app, so I can buy from Amazon; but I also have Kobo, Nook, iBook, and Overdrive apps. What's nice about that is that I can shop or browse or borrow from many different sources (including public libraries).

But there's one problem with using the iPad to read. There's no physical reminder of what you're reading (or should be reading).

I might be the only person with this problem. But it's very easy for me to start a book in one app, go check my email or the weather, put the iPad down--and the next time I go to get back to reading, it's easy to open up a different app and start a new book. Well, OK, it's not that easy--I remember that I was reading a book. But there's not the same sense of urgency and duty that one gets (right?) with a physical book.

Which is another way of saying that I have slowed down my reading of Paolo Bacigalupi stories because I got interested in reading other things. In this case, I just finished reading the long comic series Transmetropolitan. And I have thoughts about that--but you'll have to wait until Wednesday when I update my webcomic blog at Voyagercomicsonline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment