Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dreams as inspiration

I never used to remember my dreams and I was always jealous of people who did. How many writers have mentioned in interviews that they first had the thought for a story in a dream? Damnit, how could I get me some of that?

Now, for some reason, I've been remembering a lot of my dreams lately. So what am I supposed to do with my vision of science fiction/fantasy author taking phildickian drugs and seeing the future, trying to avoid a dimension-shifting war with Australia, but who can also see that these events will lead her to writing one of her greatest works? (The weirdest thing was that this was an actual author I dreamed of, someone who I've only read a little. I even dreamed that her story was published in a year's best anthology edited by another real sf/fantasy person. It was oddly realistic--except for the time-shifting drugs and the dimension-hopping Australia.)

Wait, that's kind of cool. More dreams, more!

(Here's a theory: I'm remembering my dreams more because I'm sleeping less soundly, because my dog keeps waking me up. Worse, she spent all Thursday unable to eat without throwing up, so I've been jumping up at night to check on her whenever I hear a weird noise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment